Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 45 - The Wraps

Hello blog.

Food this time was two spinach & feta wraps from Starbucks, with a skinny vanilla latte. Lunch was a fruit & walnut salad. I was going to stop there, but I got one of my intense seasonal cravings for baby back ribs, so I went out for a dinner of that.

A 1/3 rack of baby back ribs, with a buttered roll, a few yam fries, and a few bites of coleslaw.

And in accordance with my new rule, I didn't finish any of that food. I left a minimum bite or swig of each item for the trash bin. Basically I fed it to bacteria.

If you've never had a spinach & feta wrap from Starbucks, I recommend you go out and get one immediately. All this for just 240 calories, and it's a 10 out of 10 on the flavor scale.

I'm really enjoying this new rule I've made for myself of not finishing anything. I find it helps my brain be more willing to stop itself before that point of excess, because as soon as I sit down to eat, I already know beforehand that I'll never finish it all.

As a child there was a lot of drama at the dinner table over my unwillingness to finish food. My parents would get very angry and leave me at the dinner table for hours, while I just sat there refusing to eat any more. I started to think they just wanted an excuse to leave me at the dinner table so I wouldn't bother them while they watched TV.

That more or less ended when one morning, my mom woke me up for school (I guess 3rd or 4th grade) to find that I still had a piece of meat in my mouth from the night before, that I was unable to swallow.

I had difficulty swallowing meat.

So anyway, I don't know if that's a trauma that's caused me to overeat or to feel pressed to always finish all my food. I've heard some psychologists relate that the things that traumatize us in childhood and adolescence become things we desire in adulthood.

But to be independent and make the decision that I'm never going to finish any of my food feels pretty good to me now.

I'm not sure how many calories I had today because it's really difficult to estimate the ribs. But if I had to produce a range of possibility, I'd say my total calories for this day were about 1400 - 2200.

Until tomorrow,
Eric

4 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm always sh*tting on your parade, but a couple of points on that Starbucks wrap you're touting. It comes in at 48% of the DV for sodium, and the ingredients list is something straight out of a food chemistry textbook.

    Also keep in mind that it's coming out now that restaurants are notoriously underreporting calorie counts. Why? Because they can and there's no reason not to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each thing that we do to improve our eating habits is good. But don't "justify" or be lulled into a false sense of security by thinking something is healthy simply due to calorie count. This is all a bit new to you, so you don't want to establish new habits that are as damaging as the ones you are breaking away from. I really think Jack is being quite fair in trying to remind you about the hidden "dangers" of eating out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job on the portion control :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever seen the movie "Super Size Me"? Yes you're eating at different resturants but it's still resturant prepared food... sodium city. Controling portions is great and I truly hope this works for you but I know it would not work for me.

    ETL
    http://eattolive2010.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete