Monday, December 14, 2009

Day 1 - The Green Tea Chronicles

Hello blog.

I decided to start with a green tea fast. It'll last 1 to 3 days, depending on how I feel. And yes, that means nothing but green tea.


I think I got it at a whole foods store, Henry's or Trader Joe's.

I've never gone 3 days without solid food before, but I think it'll be good for me. So far I'm doing ok. I feel hungry, but one good thing about being this hungry is the raw strawberries seem just as appetizing to me as the french fries. When I do break the fast, I'll have no problem doing it with healthy foods.

I think I may have just inadvertantly discovered the etymology of the word "breakfast."

Anyway, the hunger is there, but for now it's being outclassed by my excitement at building this weight loss blog. I've always loved making things in general, and pigging out right now would feel like I was knocking over my own sandcastle.

The real test will come when I try to fall asleep, which is something I've rarely done on an empty stomach.

In the meantime I've got to figure out what I'm going to eat when I do break the fast. I wonder if anyone reading this could share a full day's meal plan they've used and enjoyed? If so I'll be running to the store, so anything works, no allergies here.


That's my graph so far. Not much to look at yet. I lost 5lbs in a day, but at my weight it's pretty easy to do that just to waste and dehydration. Being sedentary at my weight, I think I burn about 3,000 calories per day, so it was probably a net loss of like 14 ounces.

I can't wait to have a few months of data for this graph. I love graphs.

I guess that's it for Day 1.

Until tomorrow,
Eric

5 comments:

  1. Hey Eric, I'm concerned about you drinking just green tea for 3 days. I know when I drink green tea on an empty stomach I get the shakes. I don't want to rain on your parade because you're so excited but remember that it took you many years to get where you are.

    If you want to continue on some kind of fast then I would suggest doing a smoothie fast -- all fruits and vegetables are blended. At least you're getting nutrition in your body to help you think, give you energy and you won't waste away (carbs, protein, fat).

    To break a fast you should eat one kind of(mono) fruit. Then at your next meal eat lightly and at your next meals consume enough calories to get your body through the day but will help will weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude...EAT! Fasting is NOT the answer...I PROMISE! And ESPECIALLY not for a classic binger! Food is really not the enemy. You've just got to learn control. I'm really not one to lecture- I've been there and sometimes depending on the day, I'm STILL there. But, I have learned through LOTS of medical advice that fasting will simply shut down your metabolism so that when you begin eating agin you're going to GAIN weight because your body thinks you're starving and need to store whatever calories you consume- strawberries and all! Skinny people eat like 6 small meals a day! Do some more research or your sandcastle is going down before it's half way up! good luck!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to say, Eric but I think the vast majority of weight-loss bloggers would let out a gasp of dismay at your post! I have to agree with the other commenters on here! Fasting may SEEM like a great way to kick start your weight loss, but as Phat Nanny pointed out, it's really not what your body needs.

    Healthy foods in the proper portions and regular exercise are what really work for most people. Don't starve yourself!

    That being said, I do admire your determination. I am with you here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, you really need to be careful with the fasting! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you found out how scared we all are of fasting. Personally, I think that you need to do this yourself to find out how you feel. I have done simple fasts before. Since you are not a lifelong dieter, you need to know what an empty stomach feels like. I am hypoglycemic and a fruit doesn't work for me on an empty stomach, so when I break the fast, I start back with low sodium chicken or beef broth and some crackers. I'm not saying this works for anyone but me. I'm not saying that's what you should do. Continue to do your research and compile a program that works for you. Have you checked out the Spark People website? It's a really good online community. You'll find out what works best for you in no time. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete